[Python-Dev] os.path.diff(path1, path2)

Nathan Bullock nathan_kent_bullock at yahoo.ca
Tue Sep 13 05:11:57 CEST 2005

Just wondering if a function such as this has ever
been considered? I find that I quite often want a
function that will give me a relative path from path A
to path B. I have created such a function, but it
would be nice if it was in the standard library.

This function would take two paths: A and B and give
the relation between them. Here are a few of examples.

os.path.diff("/A/C/D/", "/A/D/F/")
 ==> "../../D/F"

os.path.diff("/A/", "/A/B/C/")
 ==> "B/C"

os.path.diff("/A/B/C/", "/A/")
 ==> "../.."

I suppose it would also be nice if you could use path
+ file. For example:

os.path.diff("/A/C/D/xyz.html", "/A/D/F/zlf.html")
 ==> "../../D/F/zlf.html"

I am not subscribed to the list so if anyone thinks
this is useful please CC my email address.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who has made
Python what it is today.

Nathan Bullock

Visit my website at http://www.nathanbullock.org