[Python-Dev] Twisted and Python 2.5a0r43587

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue Apr 4 06:14:24 CEST 2006

I tried out Twisted's test suite with a version of Python built from SVN trunk today and ran into a few problems.  First, the test suite hung indefinitely using all available CPU time.  This apparently was due to a change in the behavior of __import__: in Python 2.4, __import__('') raises a ValueError; in Python 2.5, it returns None.

Once I hacked around this, the test suite ran to completion, though with over fifty failures.  Some of these appear to be related to the conversion of the exception hierarchy to new-style classes, but I have not yet had a chance to examine them closely.

Once I do have time to track down specifics, I'll file tickets as appropriate.  For now I just wanted to point out the one detail I have tracked down, and give a heads up that there are likely some more to come.

Of course anyone who is interested can run the Twisted test suite very easily and take a look at the failures themselves (if you have Twisted installed, "trial twisted" will do it).

Jean-Paul