[Python-Dev] 2.5 post-alpha1 broken on mac-intel machines

Alex Martelli aleaxit at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 06:31:15 CEST 2006

Back from vacation, just did an svn up and make, and...:
gcc -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes   Parser/acceler.o
Parser/grammar1.o Parser/listnode.o Parser/node.o Parser/parser.o
Parser/parsetok.o Parser/bitset.o Parser/metagrammar.o Parser/
firstsets.o Parser/grammar.o Parser/pgen.o Objects/obmalloc.o Python/
mysnprintf.o Parser/tokenizer_pgen.o Parser/printgrammar.o Parser/
pgenmain.o -ldl  -o Parser/pgen
/usr/bin/ld: warning Parser/printgrammar.o cputype (18, architecture
ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (file
not loaded)
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
__Py_printgrammar
__Py_printnonterminals
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Parser/pgen] Error 1

No idea where that deuced "architecture ppc" comes from, since this
Mac (a Macbook Pro) has an intel CPU -- I assume some configuration
file erroneously posits that Macs "must" have PPC processors (which
has been false for many months and was not posited in alpha-1, which
compiled fine here).  Too tired to look more into this (having just
driven back from a week's vacation in the Grand Canyon), but I will
next week if I have to...:-(

Alex