[Python-Dev] Rounding float to int directly ...

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 1 15:12:38 CEST 2006

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> You often have a need for controlled rounding when doing
> financial calculations or in situations where you want to
> compare two floats with a given accuracy, e.g. to work
> around rounding problems ;-)

The latter is a crude hack, and was traditionally used to save cycles
when floating-point division was very slow.  There are better ways,
and have been for decades.

> Float formatting is an entirely different issue.

Not really.  You need controlled rounding to a fixed precision in
the other base.  But I agree that controlled rounding in binary
does not help with controlled rounding in decimal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679