[Python-Dev] no remaining issues blocking 2.5 release

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 16 00:30:18 CEST 2006

M.-A. Lemburg schrieb:
>> It's either an official feature, with somebody maintaining it,
>> or people should expect to break it anytime.
>
> I'll let you know when things break - is that good enough ?

That can't be an official policy; you seem to define "breaks"
as "breaks in my (your) personal usage of distutils". While
this is fine as an end-user point of view, it isn't useful
as a maintenance guideline.

In case you don't see what I mean: I said that something
is already broken (bdist_msi), where "broken" means
"doesn't work", and you said "it's only a small part".
So if it's fine that only small parts break, I wonder
where this gets us over time.

For another example, you found that 2.1 compatibility is
now broken (due to usage of True and False). When distutils
was still listed in PEP 291, 2.1 compatibility was mentioned
as a goal. Now, it doesn't seem to bother you very much
that 2.1 compatibility is gone.

Regards,
Martin