[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] How does this help? Re: r51366 - python/trunk/Lib/idlelib/NEWS.txt python/trunk/Lib/idlelib/idlever.py

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Sat Aug 19 17:40:03 CEST 2006

Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> writes:

> On Saturday 19 August 2006 06:24, Jim Jewett wrote:
>> This makes things more consistent for today, but does it really ease
>> maintenance?
>>
>> Why not just change it to:
>>
>> from sys import version as IDLE_VERSION
>>
>> so that it can be ignored from now on?
>
> After the fuss about changing distutils' version number? :-)
>
> I'd very much like to do this, but I figured this was a good first step.

Jim Jewett's suggestion could actually be misleading, IMO.

There are users, especially on Windows, who run IDLE out of svn or run
their own version, but don't build Python.

Here's my suggestion: we set IDLE_VERSION="" in idlever.py.  If the IDLE
hacker wants to set a specific version, he sets that string.  I'll change
the code so if the string is empty, IDLE will use the Python version, as
Jim suggested; otherwise, the user supplied string.

--
KBK