[Python-Dev] Python and the Linux Standard Base (LSB)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Dec 1 00:34:38 CET 2006

At 02:46 PM 11/30/2006 -0800, Mike Orr wrote:
>Speaking of Virtual Python [1], I've heard some people recommending it
>as a general solution to the "this library breaks that other
>application" problem and "this app needs a different version of X
>library than that other app does".

It was actually created to help people who don't have root access (e.g. in
shared web hosting accounts) get their "own" Python.  It does work for
other things, but I haven't been especially recommending it for anything
besides that, since eggs take care of multi-version app/library support
quite nicely.

Indeeed, the virtual-python approach is itself unnecessary now, as
easy_install has much better PYTHONPATH support now, than when
virtual-python was created.