[Python-Dev] Python modules should link to libpython

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Feb 8 19:55:38 CET 2006

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
>   Any thoughts?  Should I go ahead and open a bug report (maybe with
> patch), or is this controversial?

You should only link with libpython if there really is a shared
libpython. In a standard Python installation, there is no libpython, but
instead, symbols are in the executable.

Notice that libpython isn't really supported: all changes to that code
originate from contributions, and I refuse to develop changes to it
myself. So you can file a bug report, but there likely won't be any
reaction in the next few years (atleast not from me).

OTOH, if a working patch was contributed, I could apply that fairly
quickly: I agree that modules should link with libpython if libpython
is shared.

I can accept that the Mac does it differently, although I think the
rationale for doing that is dangerous: you shouldn't really attempt
to share extension modules across Python versions.

Regards,
Martin