[Python-Dev] PEP 338 - Executing Modules as Scripts

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 12:04:41 CET 2006

I finally finished updating PEP 338 to comply with the flexible importing
system in PEP 302.

The result is a not-yet-thoroughly-tested module that should allow the -m
switch to execute any module written in Python that is accessible via an
absolute import statement.

The PEP now uses runpy for the module name, and run_module for the function
used to locate and execute scripts. There's probably some discussion to be had
in relation to the Design Decisions section of the PEP, relating to the way I
wrote the module (the handling of locals dictionaries in particular deserves
consideration).

Tracker items for the runpy module [1] and its documentation [2] are on
Sourceforge (the interesting parts of the documentation are in the PEP, so I
suggest reading that rather than the LaTex version).

Still missing from the first tracker item are a patch to update '-m' to invoke
the new module and some unit tests (the version on SF has only had ad hoc
testing from the interactive prompt at this stage). I hope to have those up
shortly, though.

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] http://www.python.org/sf/1429601