[Python-Dev] moving content around (Re: http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel still available)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Feb 13 21:53:58 CET 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> (Now that I work for Google I realize more than ever before the
> importance of keeping URLs stable; PageRank(tm) numbers don't get
> transferred as quickly as contents. I have this worry too in the
> context of the python.org redesign; 301 permanent redirect is *not*
> going to help PageRank of the new page.)

so what's the best way to move stuff around?

wikipedia seems to display the content from the "new" location under
the old URL, but with a small blurb at the top that says "redirected
from <old url>", e.g.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_Scott_Fitzgerald

(not sure if it's done that way to avoid HTTP roundtrips, or for some
obscure googlerank reason...)

</F>