[Python-Dev] bdist_* to stdlib?

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Wed Feb 15 20:28:48 CET 2006

[Greg Ewing wrote]
> It's not perfect, but it's still a lot better than the
> situation on any other unix I've seen so far.

Better than Unix, sure. But you *can* (and ActivePython does do) install
everything under:

    /opt/$app_name/...

> > open DMG, don't run the app from here, drag it to your
> > Applications folder, then eject this window/disk, then run it from
> > /Applications,
>
> A decently-designed application should be runnable from
> anywhere, including a dmg, if the user wants to do that.
> If an app refuses to run from a dmg, I consider that a
> bug in the application.

Yes, but the typical user probably *wants* to run the app from their
/Applications folder (or somewhere else on their harddrive). When they
start running from the mounted DMG, they can't then unmount the DMG to
clean up. Actually the typical non-geek user doesn't care where they run
the app from. They don't want to worry about those details.

Trent

--
Trent Mick
TrentM at ActiveState.com