[Python-Dev] PEP for Better Control of Nested Lexical Scopes

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Feb 21 14:02:08 CET 2006

Almann,

The lack of support for rebinding names in enclosing scopes is
certainly a wart.  I think option one is a better fit for Python,
because it more closely matches the existing naming semantics.  Namely
that assignment in a block creates a new name unless a global
statement indicates otherwise.  The revised rules would be that
assignment creates a new name unless a global or XXX statement
indicates otherwise.

The names of naming statements are quite hard to get right, I fear.  I
don't particularly like "use."  It's too generic.  (I don't
particularly like "scope" for option 2, either, for similar reasons.
It doesn't indicate what kind of scope issue is being declared.)  The
most specifc thing I can think of is "free" to indicate that the
variable is free in the current scope.  It may be too specialized a
term to be familiar to most people.

I think free == global in the absence of other bindings.

Jeremy