[Python-Dev] PEP 358 (bytes type) comments

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Feb 22 22:22:19 CET 2006

First off, thanks to Neil for writing this all down.  The whole thread
of discussion on the bytes type was rather long and thus hard to
follow.  Nice to finally have it written down in a PEP.

Anyway, a few comments on the PEP.  One, should the hex() method
instead be an attribute, implemented as a property?  Seems like static
data that is entirely based on the value of the bytes object and thus
is not properly represented by a method.

Next, why are the __*slice__ methods to be defined?  Docs say they are
deprecated.

And for the open-ended questions, I don't think sort() is needed.

Lastly, maybe I am just dense, but it took me a second to realize that
it will most likely return the ASCII string for __str__() for use in
something like socket.send(), but it isn't explicitly stated anywhere.
 There is a chance someone might think that __str__ will somehow
return the sequence of integers as a string does exist.

-Brett