[Python-Dev] cProfile prints to stdout?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Feb 25 21:26:18 CET 2006

I just noticed that cProfile (like profile) prints to stdout.  Yuck.  I
guess that's to be expected because the pstats module does the actual
printing and it's used by both modules.  I'm willing to give up backward
compatibility to achieve a little more sanity and flexibility here.  I
propose rewriting the necessary bits to att a stream= keyword argument where
necessary and using stream.write(...) or print >> stream, ... instead of the
current bare print.  I'd prefer the default for the stream be sys.stderr as
well.

Thoughts?

Skip