[Python-Dev] Logging enhancements

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Jan 9 21:48:36 CET 2006

I'd like to create a patch for the logging package, but before I do, I
need to know whether someone else is working on the package and whether
my patch is likely to be accepted.  Is there another group I should talk to?

Specifically, I want to change the following:

- The logging.config.fileConfig function has bare excepts that hide
configuration errors.  I'd like to remove the bare excepts and break up
fileConfig for clarity.

- I'd like to make it possible to configure the format of exception
tracebacks.  Some logs want compressed tracebacks like Medusa; others
want extra information like Zope.

- There is no support for external log rotation.  There is plenty of
support for Python rotating logs directly, but permission settings often
make that impossible.  Long-running Python processes need to accept a
signal which notifies them when an external tool rotates the logs.

- The logging documentation is lacking somewhat.  For example, it fails
to mention that the logging handlers are in the 'handlers' module, which
I only learned by searching the source code.

Shane