[Python-Dev] os.path.getmtime on Windows

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jan 15 09:38:25 CET 2006

Christian Tismer wrote:
> Is there a way to circumvent this problem, or am I missing something?
> If this is not the expected behavior, then it might make sense
> to find a patch.

I have meant to work on a patch for several years now. I would like to
drop usage of msvcrt's stat(3), and instead implement os.stat in terms
of Windows API directly. That would also have the advantage that
subsecond time-stamps can be exposed.

There are several issues involved in implementing such a patch, though.
One is that you need to do it twice: once for Win9x, and once for
NT+, because you have to use Unicode file names on one system, and
ANSI file names on the other.

Regards,
Martin