[Python-Dev] PEP 247 and hashlib

Seo Sanghyeon tinuviel at sparcs.kaist.ac.kr
Mon Jan 16 05:37:18 CET 2006

"PEP 247 -- API for Cryptographic Hash Functions" specifies a standard
API for hashing modules.

new([string])
... the optional 'string' parameter, if supplied, will be immediately
hashed into the object's starting state, as if obj.update(string) was
called.

But hashlib.new() takes the algorithm name... Does PEP need an update?

By the way, I am thinking about mapping .NET's
System.Security.Cryptography.HashAlgorithm.Create and created object's
ComputeHash method to Python's hash API for IronPython. For that, I'd
like to see a clarification.

Seo Sanghyeon