[Python-Dev] str with base

Alex Martelli aleaxit at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 04:44:44 CET 2006

Is it finally time in Python 2.5 to allow the "obvious" use of, say,
str(5,2) to give '101', just the converse of the way int('101',1)
gives 5?  I'm not sure why str has never allowed this obvious use --
any bright beginner assumes it's there and it's awkward to explain
why it's not!-).  I'll be happy to propose a patch if the BDFL
blesses this, but I don't even think it's worth a PEP... it's an
inexplicable though long-standing omission (given the argumentative
nature of this crowd I know I'll get pushback, but I still hope the
BDFL can Pronounce about it anyway;-).

Alex