[Python-Dev] SourceForge Download Page, Subversion Home Page

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jan 27 11:42:22 CET 2006

You may be aware that Tim Parkin's work on our "next-generation" web
presence has borne fruit in the shape of beta.python.org. While there's
still a lot to be done Tim has given us a great start by creating a
framework that makes it rather easier to manage content.

I'm just starting to work on the beta site content, and this is causing
some examination of the existing web content. Is there any way to affect
the target of the very prominent "Download Python" link on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/python/ ?

I ask because the link currently takes you to a page whose title is
"Exiting with Error" and whose content is largely "No File Packages".
While it's not where you arrive from a Google search for "python
download" it is nevertheless a legitimate way (just now) to approach the
project, and should therefore really be live.

Is there any chance some SF admin could point it to

     http://www.python.org/download/

There's the further issue that the entire HTML body of
http://svn.python.org/ currently reads

<!-- not sure what to put here -->

It would seem like the logical place to have pointers to Subversion
software (downloads, documentation, operating instructions) together
with an *annotated* summary of http://svn.python.org/projects/ and links
back to the main developer site at the very least. I'm not even sure
where that web content is under SVN control at the moment.

The web revision is going to lead to several of these kinds of
discussions. I'll try to only spill on to the python-dev list what
impinges on developers. Your opinions on these specific issues are
probably the most significant.

[pydotorgers: let's try not to spam python-dev with any discussions]

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119