[Python-Dev] Empty Subscript PEP on Wiki - keep or toss?

Noam Raphael noamraph at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 22:06:28 CEST 2006

Hello,

I posted it as a "pre-PEP", in the hope that it may become a PEP and
be accepted. As it happened, Guido said "no" at the end, so I stopped
pushing the subject.

I think that the main reason for the "no" was that my use case wasn't
convincing enough - the objections were that this wasn't useful
enough, not that it does anything harmful*. As the one who does think
it's useful, I have the tiniest hope that if, in the future, people
will become familiar with the package and see the usefulness of
allowing empty subscript list, the decision will change. If the only
result of me posting it as a PEP is a final "rejected" status that
will prevent any chance of that happening, I don't think I'll bother
to make it a PEP. If it's not the case, then I'll make it a PEP and
post it.

Have a good week,
Noam

* Yes, I know that adding unneeded feature to the language can be
considered "harmful". You may not agree with my distinction in this
case. As it is, I barely consider this as an "added feature" - I would
say it's mostly "a small generalization".