[Python-Dev] ImportWarning decision

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu Jul 6 05:24:16 CEST 2006

So there's 3 choices here:

a) revert the importwarning entirely
b) make it suppressed by default
c) more complicated code in import.c to only emit the warning if the
import fails.

After a bit of a chat with Neal, I think the best combination of
prudence and functionality is (b). (a) also works for me. (c) is a
bit too scary, post-beta. import.c is a bad place where programmers
go to die - I'd rather not mess about with it at this stage of the
release cycle.

Unless I hear screams in the near future, (b) is what's going to be
done for beta2, and therefore 2.5 final. We can re-evaluate the
situation for 2.6 - maybe a more complex solution like (c) can be
done for that.

This means Google can just turn it on in sitecustomize.py and Guido
can avoid the hordes of peasants with pitchforks and burning torches.

Anthony