[Python-Dev] Rounding float to int directly (Re: struct module and coercing floats to integers)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Jul 29 05:44:33 CEST 2006

Michael Urman wrote:
> The fact that
> round returns a float rather than an int, while intentional, does not
> feature prominently in one's mine when the first version yielded the
> expected results.

As an aside, does anyone else think that it would be
useful to have a builtin which rounds and converts to
an int in one go? Whenever I use round(), I almost
always want the result as an int, and making me do
it in two steps seems unnecessarily bothersome.

Since automatic float->int coercion is being increasingly
disallowed, use cases for this are becoming more and more
common.

--
Greg