[Python-Dev] When will regex really go away?

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 06:46:59 CET 2006

> On 1/24/06, skip at pobox.com <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > I ran Fredrik's listmodules script in my current sandbox and got a
> > deprecation warning for the regex module.  According to PEP 4 it is already
> > obsolete.  I saw nothing there about the timeframe for actual removal.  Will
> > it ever go away?
>
> ASAP please!
>
> PEP 4 lists these that were already obsolete in 2.0:
>
>     addpack, cmp, cmpcache, codehack, dircmp, dump, fmt, lockfile,
>     newdir, Para, poly, regex, regsub, tb, timing, util, whatsound,
>     tzmod, find, grep, packmail, ni, rand, soundex, cl, sv
>
> of these, regex, regsub, and timing are still importable in 2.4 (I
> don't have a 2.5 handy here at Google, and my home machine seems
> inaccessible). ISTM these last three can safely be dropped now.

I'll do this, except there are some issues:

 * Lib/reconvert.py imports regex.  Ok to move regex,regsub,recovert to lib-old?
 * ./Demo/pdist/rcslib.py & ./Demo/sockets/mcast.py import regsub.  I
don't know how to convert the uses of regsub to re, any volunteers?
Shall I just add doc that they are broken?
 * A whole mess of Demos and Tools use regex.  What to do about them?
./Demo/tkinter/guido/mbox.py:import regex
./Demo/tkinter/guido/ManPage.py:import regex
./Demo/tkinter/guido/tkman.py:import regex
./Demo/pdist/makechangelog.py:import regex
./Demo/scripts/mboxconvert.py:import regex
./Demo/scripts/ftpstats.py:import regex
./Demo/scripts/eqfix.py:import regex
./Demo/scripts/update.py:import regex
./Tools/scripts/pathfix.py:import regex
./Tools/scripts/fixcid.py:import regex
./Tools/scripts/classfix.py:import regex
./Tools/scripts/objgraph.py:import regex
./Tools/scripts/methfix.py:import regex
./Tools/scripts/pdeps.py:import regex
./Tools/scripts/ifdef.py:import regex