[Python-Dev] PEP 357

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Mar 3 18:56:09 CET 2006

I think PEP 357 and the corresponding patch (python.org/sf/1436368) ae
looking pretty good, except for one issue:

Currently, when calling the __index__() method on a long with a value
exceeding the boundaries of ssize_t will raise OverflowError. The C
API chooses to clip such values, but the Python version thows an
exception. I think the Python API ought to be allowed to return any
long value and it's up to the C API to clip it.

Apart from that, I'm ready to accept the PEP. Other opinions?