[Python-Dev] Documenting the ssize_t Python C API changes

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Mar 20 22:53:09 CET 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> I really don't understand why you put so much effort into
>> trying to argue that the ssize_t patch isn't going to break
>> extensions or that fixing compiler warnings is good enough.
>
> Well, in *this* thread, my main point is that I don't want
> to provide the list that you demand, mainly because I consider
> it a waste of my time to create it.

It's not a waste of time at all: you'd be helping lots and
lots of developers out there who want to fix their extensions.

Apart from that I can only repeat what I said before: you
expect developers to put lots of time into fixing their
extensions to run with Python 2.5, so it's only fair that
you invest some time into making it as easy as possible for
them.

The ssize_t patch is the single most disruptive patch in
Python 2.5, so it deserves special attention.

>> I consider the fact that it's currently not possible to have
>> a look at the changed APIs a documentation which is in the
>> responsibility of the patch authors to provide (just like it
>> always is).
>
> It is possible to look at the changed APIs, see
>
> http://docs.python.org/dev/api/sequence.html

That's neither a complete list (see the grep I sent), nor
does it highlight the changes.

The API documentation is not the right place for the
documentation of this change, IMHO, since it always refers
to the current state in a specific Python release and not
the changes applied to an API compared to an older release.
The PEP is the perfect place for such a list, I guess.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 20 2006)