[Python-Dev] methods on the bytes object (was: Crazy idea for str.join)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon May 1 17:05:46 CEST 2006

Please take this to the py3k list.

It's still open which methods to add; it'll depend on the needs we
discover while using bytes to write the I/O library.

I don't believe we should add everything we can; rather, I'd like to
keep the API small until we have a clear need for a particular method.
For the record, I'm holding off adding join() for now; I'd rather
speed up the += operation.

--Guido