[Python-Dev] introducing the experimental pyref wiki

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Mon May 1 19:47:11 CEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 08:54:00PM +0200, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>     http://pyref.infogami.com/

I find this work very exciting.  Time hasn't been kind to the
reference guide -- as language features were added to 2.x, not
everything has been applied to the RefGuide, and users will probably
have been forced to read a mixture of the RefGuide and various PEPs.

The Reference Guide tries to provide a formal specification of the
language.  A while ago I wondered if we needed a "User's Guide" that
explains all the keywords, lists special methods, and that sort of
thing, in a style that isn't as formal and as complete as the
Reference Guide.  Now maybe we don't -- maybe the RefGuide can be
tidied bit by bit into something more readable.

(Or are the two goals -- completeness and readability --
incompossible, unable to be met at the same time by one document?)

--amk