[Python-Dev] epoll implementation

Ross Cohen rcohen at snurgle.org
Fri May 26 20:31:33 CEST 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 08:03:12PM +0200, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Ross Cohen wrote:
> > Is there any interest in incorporating this into the standard python
> > distribution?
>
> I would like to see epoll support in Python, but not in the way PyEpoll
> is packaged. Instead, I think it should go into the select module,
> and be named epoll_*.
>
> Likewise, if kqueue was ever supported, I think it should also go
> into the select module.

I agree that it should go into the select module, but not as a seperate
set of calls. epoll is strictly better than poll. kqueue is strictly
better than poll. Windows has its own completion ports API. Why should
an application developer have to detect what platform they are running on?
Why not simply provide the best implementation for the platform through the
python API everyone is already using?

Ross