[Python-Dev] epoll implementation

Ross Cohen rcohen at snurgle.org
Sat May 27 01:23:01 CEST 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 11:56:06PM +0200, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> I thought about this (even though I never used it), and I think there
> are good uses for EPOLLET.

There are, if the programmer wants to deal with it. Easy enough to add the
flag and give them the choice. I'll put together a select module which
adds this and code and uses it if the right stuff is present at compile and
run time.

epoll also allows 64 bits of data to be tucked away and returned when events
happen. Could be useful for saving a dict lookup for every event. However,
there are some refcounting issues. Dict lookup per event could be traded
for one on deregistration. All it needs is a small forward-compatible
extension to the current select.poll API.

Ross