[Python-Dev] Contributor agreements (was Re: DRAFT: python-dev summary for 2006-04-01 to 2006-04-15)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon May 29 22:23:01 CEST 2006

----------------------
Contributor agreements
----------------------

If you're listed in the `Python acknowledgments`_, and you haven't
signed a `contributor agreement`_, please submit one as soon as
possible.  Note that this includes even the folks that have been
around forever -- the PSF would like to be as careful as possible on
this one.
-----------
I believe I did submit something some time ago, but I am not positive, and
even if I did, I don't know whether it was a recent enough version.  So I
suggest that

>.. _Python acknowledgments:
>  http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Misc/ACKS

put a star besides names for which there is a recent enough form.
Another problem with that list is that it apparently includes people who
have not actually contributed text or code in the distribution and who
therefor do not (?) need to send in an agreement.

Also, it says 'not in any useful order', which is weird, because it is
alphabetical, which is quite useful for finding a particular name (or not
;-).

>.. _contributor agreement:
>http://www.python.org/psf/contrib-form-python.html

By itself, this link is inadequate since there is a blank for 'Initial
License' with no choices indicated.  So the summary needs a link to an
instruction page also.  The form is also a bit confusing since it appears
to talk about future contributions but the last line tacked on to the
bottom refers to the past.  If it means both, then why not say so in the
main text in a way that non-lawyers can understand?

Terry Jan Reedy