[Python-Dev] Passing floats to file.seek

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Nov 12 12:01:20 CET 2006

Patch #1067760 deals with passing of float values to file.seek;
the original version tries to fix the current implementation
by converting floats to long long, rather than plain C long
(thus supporting files larger than 2GiB).

I propose a different approach: passing floats to seek should
be an error. My version of the patch uses the index API, this
will automatically give an error.

Two questions:
a) should floats be supported as parameters to file.seek
b) if not, should Python 2.6 just deprecate such usage,
   or outright reject it?

Regards,
Martin