[Python-Dev] ctypes and powerpc

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Nov 25 08:23:21 CET 2006

Thomas Heller schrieb:
> What should we do now?  Should the conditional be changed to
>
> #if defined(__ppc__) || defined(_POWER)

This would be the right test, if you want to test for "power-pc
like". POWER and PowerPC are different processor architectures,
IBM pSeries machines (now System p) have POWER processors; this
is the predecessor of the PowerPC architecture (where PowerPC
omitted some POWER features, and added new ones). Recent POWER
processors (POWER3 and later, since 1997) are apparently
PowerPC-compatible. Still, AIX probably continues to define
_POWER for backwards-compatibility (back to RS/6000 times).

Regards,
Martin