[Python-Dev] Python and the Linux Standard Base (LSB)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Nov 28 22:05:20 CET 2006

On 11/28/06, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> There's a related issue that may or may not be in scope for this
> thread.  For distros like Gentoo or Ubuntu that rely heavily on their
> own system Python for the OS to work properly, I'm quite loathe to
> install Cheeseshop packages into the system site-packages.

I wonder if would help if we were to add a vendor-packages directory
where distros can put their own selection of 3rd party stuff they
depend on, to be searched before site-packages, and a command-line
switch that ignores site-package but still searches vendor-package.
(-S would almost do it but probably suppresses too  much.)