[Python-Dev] The "lazy strings" patch

Talin talin at acm.org
Sat Oct 21 08:37:45 CEST 2006

Interesting - is it possible that the same technique could be used to
hide differences in character width? Specifically, if I concatenate an
ascii string with a UTF-32 string, can the up-conversion to UTF-32 also
be done lazily? If that could be done efficiently, it would resolve some
outstanding issues that have come up on the Python-3000 list with
regards to str/unicode convergence.