[Python-Dev] minidom and DOM level 2

Andrew Clover and-dev at doxdesk.com
Sat Apr 7 17:02:13 CEST 2007

Jason Orendorff wrote:

> OK, I think this is worthwhile then. :) I'll read the spec and submit
> a patch.

You're planning to implement EntityReference in minidom? That'll be fun!
:-) One of the nastier corners of DOM and XML in general.

 > I'd be happy to do some diffing between the implementation,
 > documentation, tests, and the Recommendation

I hacked up an experimental test harness for the W3 DOM Test Suite in
order to test my own imp; you might find it useful:

   http://doxdesk.com/software/py/domts.html

The TS is far from definitive, but its tests for Level 1 and 2 are to
the best of my knowledge accurate.

Incidentally minidom falls far short of passing even Level 1 Core for
more reasons than omission of EntityReference. I noted the main known
problems with it here:

   http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/compliance.html

Good luck!

--