[Python-Dev] Python 2.5.1

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 29 09:44:57 CEST 2007

> I'm sorry, but somehow I could not parse this. My understanding was
> that the unittest was meant to make sure an os.stat call would be
> successful on an open file, and that pagefile.sys was simply used as a
> known open file, which is no longer correct.

No. The unit test was meant to test that os.stat is successful on an
open file on which 2.5 reported ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION. I believe
it was not the case that it would report ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION
when stat'ing arbitrary open files, but just open files where some
additional conditions must be met. I might be misremembering - I
*think* I tried to write the test case just like you did, and it
could not trigger the bug. I then concluded that I could not figure
out what these additional conditions were, and that it *had* to
be the pagefile.

So please verify that your new test indeed breaks on 2.5.0 (or
undo r54686).

Regards,
Martin