[Python-Dev] Trial balloon: microthreads library in stdlib

dustin at v.igoro.us dustin at v.igoro.us
Sat Feb 10 22:27:02 CET 2007

Mostly for my own curiosity, I'm working on a PEP-342-based
microthreading library with a similar api to threads and threading
(coalesced into a single module).  It uses coroutines and a trampoline
scheduler, and provides basic async wrappers for common IO operations.

It's not a framework/environment like Twisted or Kamaelia -- it's just a
microthreading library with some solid primitives.  My thinking is that
this would be the "next level" for apps which currently use asyncore.

I won't go into a lot of detail on the module, because (a) it's not even
nearly done and (b) my question is higher-level than that.

  Is there any interest in including a simple microthreading module in
  Python's standard library?

If this sounds like a terrible idea, let fly the n00b-seeking missiles.
If it sounds better than terrible, I'll keep working and post a
reasonable prototype soon (a PEP would also be in order at some point,
correct?).

Dustin