[Python-Dev] Special file "nul" in Windows and os.stat

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 6 20:37:21 CET 2007

> If yes, we have three paths to follow... leave 2.5 as is and say that
> the behaviour change is ok (windows fault), change 2.5 to use the same
> API than 2.4 and get the same behaviour, or hardwire the behaviour for
> this set of special files...

As you said before, we should avoid hardwiring things.

> What do you think we should do?

I think we should try to follow the behavior of 2.4. To do that, we
still have to find out what precisely the behavior of 2.4 is (and
then perhaps we might decide to not follow it when we know what it
is).

Unfortunately, it seems that none of us is both capable and has
sufficient time to research what the 2.4 behavior actually is;
I'd like to emphasize that I think no changes should be made until
the behavior is fully understood, which it currently isn't.

So I suggest to take no action until somebody comes along who
has both the time and the knowledge to resolve the issue.

Regards,
Martin