[Python-Dev] Build Notes for building trunk with Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Nov 23 18:40:01 CET 2007

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Why not include the prebuilt libraries of all external libs in SVN
> as well ?

For one I'm still using Beta 2 of the standard edition and I'm not
allowed to distribute binaries build with the Beta. With the new
pre-build steps it's also very easy to build the dependencies. I don't
like to add more binaries to the svn repos.

> BTW: Are you including the patented algorithms in the standard
> OpenSSL build or excluding them ?
>
> The patented ones are RC5, IDEA and MDC2:

[snip]

> I'd opt for not including these algorithms, as it's just
> too easy for the user to overlook this license requirement.

Thanks for thinking about license problems! I didn't even think about
checking the licenses since I was under the impression that restricted
algorithms are disabled by default.

I've disabled IDEA in the makefiles and configure headers of openssl.
I've also added another step to the makefile patcher in build_ssl. It
makes sure that the three algorithms are disabled.

Christian