[Python-Dev] Global Python Sprint Weekends: May 10th-11th and June 21st-22nd.

Trent Nelson tnelson at onresolve.com
Wed Apr 16 19:51:53 CEST 2008

    Following on from the success of previous sprint/bugfix weekends and
    sprinting efforts at PyCon 2008, I'd like to propose the next two
    Global Python Sprint Weekends take place on the following dates:

        * May 10th-11th (four days after 2.6a3 and 3.0a5 are released)
        * June 21st-22nd (~week before 2.6b2 and 3.0b2 are released)

    It seems there are a few of the Python User Groups keen on meeting
    up in person and sprinting collaboratively, akin to PyCon, which I
    highly recommend.  I'd like to nominate Saturday across the board
    as the day for PUGs to meet up in person, with Sunday geared more
    towards an online collaboration day via IRC, where we can take care
    of all the little things that got in our way of coding on Saturday
    (like finalising/preparing/reviewing patches, updating tracker and
    documentation, writing tests ;-).

    For User Groups that are planning on meeting up to collaborate,
    please reply to this thread on python-dev at python.org and let every-
    one know your intentions!

    As is commonly the case, #python-dev on irc.freenode.net will be
    the place to be over the course of each sprint weekend; a large
    proportion of Python developers with commit access will be present,
    increasing the amount of eyes available to review and apply patches.

    For those that have an idea on areas they'd like to sprint on and
    want to look for other developers to rope in (or just to communicate
    plans in advance), please also feel free to jump on this thread via
    python-dev@ and indicate your intentions.

    For those that haven't the foggiest on what to work on, but would
    like to contribute, the bugs tracker at http://bugs.python.org is
    the best place to start.  Register an account and start searching
    for issues that you'd be able to lend a hand with.

    All contributors that submit code patches or documentation updates
    will typically get listed in Misc/ACKS.txt; come September when the
    final release of 2.6 and 3.0 come about, you'll be able to point at
    the tarball or .msi and exclaim loudly ``I helped build that!'',
    and actually back it up with hard evidence ;-)

    Bring on the pizza and Red Bull!

        Trent.