[Python-Dev] configure error: "rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory"

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Apr 22 17:47:53 CEST 2008

On 5 Apr, 2008, at 21:17, skip at pobox.com wrote:
> I just noticed this error message during configure:
>
>    checking whether gcc accepts -Olimit 1500... no
>    checking whether gcc supports ParseTuple __format__... no
>    checking whether pthreads are available without options... yes
>    checking whether g++ also accepts flags for thread support... no
>    checking for ANSI C header files... rm: conftest.dSYM: is a
> directory
>    rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
>    yes
>    checking for sys/types.h... yes
>    checking for sys/stat.h... yes
>    checking for stdlib.h... yes
>    checking for string.h... yes
>
> Note the "rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory".  This occurred a few
> times
> during the configure process.  Didn't cause it to conk out, but is
> annoying.

I've looked into this issue. It is harmless and caused by an
interaction between
AC_TRY_RUN and gcc on leopard.

Gcc generates '.dSYM' directories when linking with debugging enabled.
These
directories contain detached debugging information (see man dsymutil).

AC_TRY_RUN tries to remove 'conftest.*' using rm, without the -r flag.
The end result
is an error message during configure and a 'config.dSYM' turd.

AFAIK this not easily fixed without changing the definition of
AC_TRY_RUN, at least not
without crude hacks.

Ronald