[Python-Dev] Upcoming 2.5.2 release

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 06:42:40 CET 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 1:42 AM, Jesus Cea <jcea at argo.es> wrote:

> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> |> As current bsddb module maintainer, I was wondering if 2.5.2 will
> |> support BerkeleyDB 4.6 :-?.
> |
> | Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question - whom are asking?
> | If me - Python 2.5.2 will essentially do what the maintenance branch
> | does currently.
>
> I beg your pardon. My role is recent (a week) and I'm still learning my
> way thru procedures and conventions :-).
>
> Current bsddb module in 2.5.1 supports up to BerkeleyDB 4.5. There is
> support for 4.6 in trunk (future 2.6, I guess) and I'm working in a
> private branch at the moment, since I have no commit access to python
> repository. That private version is intented to be merged into python
> 2.6 by Greg, when time comes.

Note that db 4.6 might be the cause of some crashes on the buildbots:
  http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/all/

I asked to have it disabled on one platform (sparc).  I haven't
checked the results and I'm not sure if Greg has either.  Greg checked
in a change to setup.py on trunk to disable 4.6 to see if the crashes
go away.

~5 buildbots had crashes in bsddb or related code with 4.6 before the
change to setup.py.