[Python-Dev] pkgutil, pkg_resource and Python 3.0 name space packages

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 12:58:14 CET 2008

On 09/01/2008, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> Note today's Coding Horror blog entry: "Don't Pollute User Space"
>
> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001032.html
>
>  Keep your dirty, filthy paws out of my personal user space!

:-) Absolutely

[...]
> If applications need to store shared files, that's what the \AppData and
> \Application Data folders are for.
>
> Sentiments I agree with...

Yes, with the one proviso that Windows (XP, at least, maybe Vista is
actually better in this regard) makes it extremely difficult for the
user to manually do anything in these directories, so that I'd say
this is only appropriate for fully application-maintained files. As
far as I know, Windows lacks any really sensible place to store
application configuration data which is meant to be user edited on
occasion (e.g. rc/ini files, startup scripts, etc).

That's often what I see ending up in %USERPROFILE% - even though as
Christian points out, it's "officially" wrong.

Paul.