[Python-Dev] Rational approximation methods

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 02:54:33 CET 2008

What would be useful is a method that generates (i.e., a generator in
the Python sense) the (continued fraction) convergents to a rational.
People wanting specific constraints on a rational approximation
(including, but not limited to, the two you identified) can easily
build them on top of such a generator.

By "useful" I don't mean lots of people will use it ;-)  I mean /some/
people will use it -- a way to generate the sequence of convergents is
a fundamental tool that can be used for all sorts of stuff, by those
with advanced applications.