[Python-Dev] Upcoming 2.5.2 release

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Jan 31 17:07:39 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008, Jesus Cea wrote:

> Martin v. L?wis wrote:
> |> As current bsddb module maintainer, I was wondering if 2.5.2 will
> |> support BerkeleyDB 4.6 :-?.
> |
> | Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question - whom are asking?
> | If me - Python 2.5.2 will essentially do what the maintenance branch
> | does currently.
>
> I beg your pardon. My role is recent (a week) and I'm still learning my
> way thru procedures and conventions :-).

Please read PEP6:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0006/

The gist is that point releases are purely bugfix releases, because
adding features lessens code quality and makes it more difficult to
track changes.  The big push to stick with PEP6 came from the mistake of
adding True/False to Python 2.2.1.

indirection."  --Butler Lampson