[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] 2.6 and 3.0 project management

Gregor Lingl gregor.lingl at aon.at
Sun Mar 16 16:13:03 CET 2008

Hi everyone,

with this posting I refer to a paragraph in PEP 361, which says:

"""Each non-trivial feature listed here that is not a PEP must be discussed on python-dev.  Other enhancements include:

   - ...
   - turtle.py replacement or enhancements
"""

Some time ago I had offered my xturtle.py as a replacement of or
supplement to turtle.py. The discussion that followed is here:

http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2006-06-16_2006-06-30/

At Europython 2006 I gave a talk on xturtle and there and since then I
had quite positive feedback including encouragement to offer it again to
include it in the python standard distribution by quite a few people
including Guido van Rossum.

During the last few weeks I did some enhancements to xturtle and put the
current version on the xturtle website for download in order to get same
feedback about the API as well as possible bug reports. This version
still needs some code polishing.

http://www.rg16.at/~python/xturtle/download.html

So I'm interested to know if this is still an issue for you. If so there
should be initiated some procedure to decide that.

If this decision were negative, things were done (- and I'd continue to
develop xturtle elsewhere.)

If the decision were positive, I'd be able to prepare two equivalent
versions for Python2.6 and Python3000 within two or three weeks. (The
port to Python3000 is nearly ready.) These could include say 85% of the
documentation, albeit still not in the correct format.

I think these had to be examined my some reviewer(s) and also a
discussion about features to include or not include would be useful. I'd
like to intensivly take part in this discussion and development.

After a possible decision to include xturtle into Python, which
certainly should take place before the first beta release, there would
be enough time to polish the documentation and to fix bugs. For their
discovery it would certainly be an advantage to put it in some
prerelease as early as possible.

Of course I know that xturtle is only a side issue in the current
development efforts. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the procedures
needed to get a new module into Python, so I kindly ask you for your
advice how to proceed, at the same time offering my cooperation.

With best regards

Gregor Lingl