[Python-Dev] Invitation to try out open source code review tool

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun May 4 11:58:24 CEST 2008

Hi,

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>>  and IF someone adapts it to work on a different
>>  platform (Django with regular DB backend) and then hosts it elsewhere.
>
> No, that won't be necessary. If someone contributes an alternate
> authentication system I'd be happy to adopt it.

Personally, I would consider the following sufficient:

1) people who have authenticated themselves against the underlying VCS (i.e.
project members) may post public comments and comment on other comments

2) anonymous users can post comments that won't become publicly visible until
an authenticated user acknowledges them or comments on them.

That should be enough to keep the system open to everybody and to keep spam away.

>>  Of
>>  course, any such alternative would probably also require an account and
>>  Terms of Service agreement.
>
> You're seeing this to strictly. While developers hosting their app are
> held by an Google terms of service agreement, they are not required to
> hold their users to such an agreement.

I agree with that, it's about commensurability. People who use my service
shouldn't be bothered with the contracts I signed with my own service
provider. Imagine you'd have to sign a contract with my web hoster to visit my
web site.

Stefan