[Python-Dev] Addition of "pyprocessing" module to standard lib.

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu May 15 02:07:38 CEST 2008

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> The API of the processing module does look simple and nice, but
> parallel processing is a minefield - esp. when it comes to handling
> error situations (e.g. a worker failing, network going down, fail-over,
> etc.).
>
> What I'm missing with the processing module is a way to spawn processes
> on clusters (rather than just on a single machine).

Perhaps one-size-fits-all isn't the right approach
here.

I think there's room for more than one module -- a
simple one for people who just want to spawn some
extra processes on the same CPU to take advantage
of multiple cores, and a fancier one (maybe based
on MPI) for people who want grid-computing style
distribution with error handling, fault tolerance,
etc.

(I didn't set out to justify that paragraph,
btw -- it just happened!)

--
Greg