[Python-Dev] Distutils & configparser rename

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri May 16 00:49:22 CEST 2008

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> Python 2.6 renames the ConfigParser module to be configparser.
>
> Distutils imports ConfigParser in various places.  I just made a
> commit updating the import in one places, and then noticed that part
> of commit r63248, which made the same change, was reverted in order to
> preserve backward-compatibility.  Instead, the default path will
> include lib-old again to keep the old module name available.

Well, lib-old got added back to the path to support external users
(since the deprecated ConfigParser name will emit a warning only under
the -3 Py3k warning flag).

Since it would be nice for the standard library to not emit any warnings
with the -3 flag, perhaps distutils should at least be trying the new
name first, and only falling back to the old name on an ImportError
(assuming we do decide we want to be able to run the 2.6 distutils on
older versions of Python).

Cheers,
Nick.