[Python-Dev] A thought on generic functions

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu May 29 02:17:03 CEST 2008

Paul Moore wrote:
> I'd rather see a solution which addressed the
> wider visitor use case (I think I just sprained my back bending over
> backwards to avoid mentioning generic functions :-))

Speaking of generic functions, while thinking about the
recent discussion on proxy objects, it occurred to me
that this is something you can do with an OO system
that you can't do so easily with a generic function
system. If the operations being proxied were generic
functions rather than methods, you'd have to override
them all individually instead of having a central point
to catch them all.

--
Greg